September 07, 2010

*Newsletter*

NEWSLETTER  -  9.7.2010

Hello Doula brother and sisters!


Hopefully this update finds you well.

School has started for most and if you're anything like me, you're enjoying a slightly more quiet day. I impose on your inboxes today to bring attention to the changes that the group is undergoing.




Links - Previously, you could find 2 links in this section to Google Documents (spreadsheets) for entering in your business information (or for expectant families to enter in their doula needs and contact info). Those 2 links are now gone. There is an easier way which happens to be less work. You can submit your info to myDoula.weebly.com and/or join the Y! Group in your area and post a message. (More on this in a sec.)


Y! Groups - Yahoo! has added an "Applications" section to groups. I will set up the map feature for both expectant mamas and doulas to add their own information. This is totally optional. Jannah Alaoui, CNM (founder of Birth Doula Connection.org) and Y! Group owner of the San Francisco group has implemented these features as well as the job listing/classified feature into her groups. Her groups are very "DIY" where as I do much of the legwork myself so I'm not sure how these Beta Apps will work out. You are more than welcome to give them a try. Again, its optional.


MyDoula website - I have added, what I think is, a really cool feature - a MAP! Upon visiting the doula directory you will see a Google map. There are pegs marking each and every doula who submits their info to the directory. There are also pegs marking regional Y! Groups.
Reciprocal Links - I am working hard to make sure everyone's website, logos/photos and banners have working, clickable links directing visitors directly to your website. Weebly and I have not been getting along well but we are working towards making amends. I'm not sure if their server is too busy causing a slow down during the times I'm on (when baby naps) or if there are gliches. This is a work in progress, please be patient.


Regional Y! Groups - Newly added Birth Connection regional Y! Groups are in Hudson Valley, NY and New York, NY.
Families in Need - I've been contacted by two expectant mothers, both due in December. One is in Wassau, WI and the other is in Waynesboro, PA. While I am excited that this service is being utilized by folks all over, I'm bummed that we don't yet have doulas in these areas. Spread, spread, spread the word!
Marketing - Courtesy of Vistaprint.com I have ordered some business cards, calendar magnets and labels to help get the word out.

Volunteers - In an effort to spread the word, I would like to send letters out to places like welfare offices, WIC offices, LaLecheLeagues and Planned Parenthood offices. This in itself is time consuming and costly so here's the plan: I will write up an intro letter and send via email (saving oodles on postage). If there is anyone who would like to volunteer their time and effort to gather email addresses for these offices please let me know! Any help is better than none.
Events - I am having an incredibly difficult time finding any news on upcoming events like baby expos. If you hear of an event like this please take note and let me know. I am especially interested in events here in the Seattle area but I would like to be informed of events all over the US. I know in California there is always this kind of stuff going on - baby expos and festivals (Corn, Garlic Fests, Chili Cook-Offs etc.) that you can easily rent a booth at and advertise your business. This is a cheap and easy way to get your name and services out in your community.
News - I will be adding a new link to the myDoula directory website for news. It will be in a blog format so you can easily see what going on (and not worry about deleting this email). I'll also post little tidbits I find interesting as a wife, mama, sister and foodie - not just a doula. If you're not interested in the "other stuff" - no worries. I will make it easy to navigate.


Of course, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask!


Happy Birthing!


Angie L.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...