December 30, 2010

Enhancing Lactation (Old Post)

One of my newly found favorite blogs, Baby Making Machine, has this clever thing called What I'm Making Monday where she makes all sorts of stuff. She is especially inspiring because she just had a baby, she's returned to work (although I don't know what it is that she does for work) and she is a frugal crafter -- just my kinda gal.

Anyhoo - today's blog was about lactation cookies which motivated me to comment with my own knowledgeable tidbits. Then I noticed my comment was really rather long and so I decided it was blog worthy.

Click here to check out the Baby Making Machine and read her blog (and giveaway) on Oatmeal Raisin Lactation Cookies.

And now for my thoughts...

Although I've never tried this brand of lactation cookie you blog about, as a previously lactating mama (for 3) I am all too familiar with this. I'm also a doula, so not only do I have oodles of my own experience I also have evidence based research to back me up.

Here's an EASY recipe to make your own OATMEAL RAISIN LACTATION COOKIES:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies

1 cup *butter*
1 cup *sugar*
1 cup firmly packed *brown sugar*
4 tablespoons *water*
2 tablespoons *flax seed meal*
2 *eggs*
1 teaspoon *vanilla*
2 cups *flour*
1 teaspoon *baking soda*
1 teaspoon *salt*
3 cups *oats*
1 cup *chocolate chips*
2-4 tablespoons *brewer's yeast*

Preheat oven to 350°.

1. Mix the flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
2. Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well.
3. Add eggs and mix well.
4. Add flaxseed mix and vanilla; beat well.
5. Sift together flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt.
6. Add dry ingredients to butter mix.
7. Stir in oats and chips.
8. Scoop onto baking sheet.
9. Bake for 12 minutes.
10. Let set for a couple minutes then remove from tray.
***************************

It is the flaxseed and brewers yeast that helps increase milk supply in many women.


Ultimately, there is really only ONE way to healthfully increase your milk supply:
EAT RIGHT, DRINK LOTS and REST. No, really. {nodding}

So here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
Food
Water
Rest

1. EAT. Make healthy choices and try to go for wholesome foods. Sometimes its easier to spread out food over several meals in a day but for those who work outside the home its not easy. Pack snacks - like almonds, fresh fruit (apples are yummy, stand up well to a beating in your purse, and satisfy the "crunch" craving), etc.

2. Drink tons and tons of water - you're body needs it anyway. 64 ounces a day is ideal.

3. Rest and Sleep are foreign in the world of "new baby" but do what you can when you can. Can't sleep during the day? Just lay down and close your eyes. Practice relaxation breathing techniques instead of napping (if you really cant sleep).

*It also helps to think about and look at a picture of baby when pumping.

Not sure if I'm a lunatic? =o] While my kids often make me question my own sanity, I do know that this stuff really works. Not only have I done it [all] (seriously, I make a special effort to try everything I might suggest to clients) but this stuff just makes sense. Looking at your baby helps release "happy feeling" hormones, ironically, the same ones that are needed to send messages from boob to brain to let the milk flow.

But guess what else? Women in third world countries who hardly have enough food to feed their families will opt out of eating for themselves.  Even under these circumstances their babies will thrive if breastfed.  So what does that tell us? That no matter what or how little we eat, our bodies will still produce milk to feed our babies.  Our boobs prioritize our hungry babies over our hungry selves. Boobs are so awesome.

Happy lactating!
Angelina Leeks
www.doulaville.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...